Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Catching my breath!

The last couple of weeks have been terribly busy. I've felt like I've been treading water for days.
My old computer, which I bought 3 years ago, is apparently considered old. It was slow, even on broadband. It needed updating, it was lacking extra ram, or some such - I can never understand IT speak. I wasn't too worried about it, since it's only used for my writing and internet connection. Anyway it started acting weird and an IT person said the CPU was running too hot, etc, etc, etc. He lost me after the first 5 minutes. To cut a long and boring story short, the damn hard drive was dying, slowly, not always quietly and damn frustratingly! After many days of it turning itself off randomly, usually when I was mid-sentence on my latest story, it actually gave up the ghost.
I tried not to panic.
I tried not to panic!!!
But I did and had a fit at my husband that my life was over, I had deadlines, people depending on me, blah blah blah. He took it all in his stride and said, shall we buy a new tower?

We came home with new tower and I instantly realised that I had two days of work ahead of me installing all the old software that I'd taken for granted in the last 3 years. I had a moment's heart attack when I thought I'd lost the cd that has Word on it, but after some frantic searching I found it.
When I was up and running again, back on the internet, I again realised that I hadn't backed up as many files as I thought. Tears welled, I can tell you. My writing was safe, but photos, notes and hundreds research links had gone. let that be a lesson to everyone out there. Back up your work, and double check you've done it!

So, since installing new hard drive, I've managed to get behind in so many things. I've had to pass over the running of my critique group to my moderator, bless her cotton socks!
My current wip, Broken Hero, which is contracted by The Wild Rose Press looks in grave danger of missing the deadline to be turned in before we leave for holidays at the end of May.
I've been able to keep up with my editing responsibilities for Enspiren Press, but it's been a challenge at times because my galleys arrived from Robert Hale for A Noble Place. I pulled an all-nighter to get those babies done!
Amongst all this chaos, we've been planning the details of our trip to England. I'm longing for the break, it's just me and my husband and the kids are finding it hard to accept that they aren't coming. They'll get over it. Jack's 17 this year, he'll soon be making his own holidays anyway.

Well, I'd best get back to it. Still so much to be done before we go.

No comments:

Best Seller!

  So happy to see The Winter Widow a best seller in Amazon Australia Kindle!