Monday, December 11, 2006

It's been awhile....

Life can be exhausting at times.

I'm slowly getting back into the swing of sitting at the keyboard, trying to concentrate on writing, promoting, etc again.
My Dad has been in hospital for three weeks, fighting for his life for the most part of it. An operation to replace blocked arteries soon turned into a choatic week in ICU when he was struck down the very next day after the operation by a stroke and a heart attack.

I'm pleased to say that he is slowly recovering, though weak in his left side, he's able to speak and know's what's happening around him. We're hoping he'll be released from hospital for Christmas, but Dad's illness has created changes in all our lives. He will no longer live on his own and will now stay with my middle sister, Linda. Dad's house and belongings are being sorted, which also includes my Mum's things too. It's such an emotional journey to take - sorting through personal belongings of your parents, especially when one has been gone for 2 years.
Mum left me her collection of Royal Doulton plates bought from England, which mean so much to me. I've also been going through all the photos Mum saved over the years, so many memories are in those albums.

So, anyway, after a few weeks of not been in the best shape to concentrate on my writing, I'm now hoping to pick up where I left off and finish two short stories and continue working on my new historical novel, Woodland Daughter.

Oh, and of course I have to finish the Christmas shopping, but I'm just not in the mood this year. I'm trying to find the Christmas spirit but it's proving a little elusive at the moment. I need to listen to Bing Crosby's White Christmas cd, even though I'm sweltering in 36 degree heat as I type!

I'm dreaming of a white Christmas.....

2 comments:

Lynette said...

Sorry to hear you and your family have been through so much of late, Anne.

I know how emotional possessions can be. I remember once having to fight back the tears when I passed my grandparents home [my father had left it untouched when my gran passed away for 3 years.] Anyhow, I was passing this particular day and I saw an open topped lorry parked outside with their furniture on top of it.

I had no idea my father had got around to clearing things out. Then to cap it all, quarter of an hour later when I arrived at the bus station to take a second bus to my writing class, I saw the same lorry with the furniture on passing again before my eyes.

It was almost as though I was meant to see it somehow. Afterwards I found it helped to write a poem about it called, 'Life On the Back of a Lorry.'

Writing is very therapeutic as you already know. I used to run an online class on the topic.

Here's hoping you get into the Christmas spirit soon and that your Dad makes a good recovery. :)

Hugs,

Lynette

Anonymous said...

Hi Anne
I'm sorry to hear about your heartache and hope that your father is now on the road to recovery.
Take care of you,
Mrg Muir

Best Seller!

  So happy to see The Winter Widow a best seller in Amazon Australia Kindle!