Monday, September 14, 2009

Book tidy up.


So, we bought a new bookscase at the weekend because quite frankly I was sick of my books being in piles on the floor and in boxes.
Good news is the bookcase fitted in the spot it needed to go and I managed to get a good few boxes unpacked. All the copies of my favourite authors are on the shelves; Audrey Howard, Catherine Cookson, Elizabeth Chadwick, Sharon Penman, and so on.
Going through all the books was such fun, like visiting old friends. My daughter, Ellie, was helping me and she became quite annoyed that I took so long with flipping through each book and telling her how good it was, etc. She just wanted the job done because she is an organising freak. I simply wanted to sit on the floor and read!
Stacked on top of the bookcase are the biographies I enjoy reading.
But the bad news is there are still more boxes of books in the garage needing a home.
It is very hard deciding which book got put on a shelf and which book went back into the boxes. The question is whether to buy another bookcase or buy less books. Well, we all know the answer to that one, don't we?
I also did a tidy up of my Victorian England and Australian reference books. As you can see I need a bigger bookcase for those too, especially since my writing period is stretching into the Edwardian/WWI era and the need to buy more research books is overwhelming.
At the end of all this activity I realised I had thirty books on my 'to be read' pile. How on earth did that grow so large?
The Book Depository and its free worldwide postage has a lot to answer for.
I'm currently reading The Devil's Brood by Sharon Penman, not a light read, with its large cast of characters, but I'm enjoying it very much.
Also on the weekend we watched a couple of dvds. Defiance with Daniel Craig. I enjoyed that movie. Films based on true events always get my interest.
The flop of the weekend was the UK movie, The Boat That Rocked. I couldn't even finish it -time too short to waste watching crap movies. I had hoped it would be a good laugh, but the first hour was rubbish and we turned it off.
Saturday morning we had a garage/yard sale and, with the arrival of the new bookcase, we have a bit more room in the garage at last! Yay.

4 comments:

Order Meds said...

Gah. You cleaned up. I need to do the same. Problem is, once I pick up a book, I just have to read it again or browse through it. Maybe I need to have some one to keep me in line and on track? Like your daughter?

Kim Smith said...

Oh this is a great post! I too have a bookcase that is filling fast. My hubby just finished putting the doors on it (it is built in) and now I will have a place for me to stow the ones that are not as attractive as they used to be but still are keepers.

Anonymous said...

www.tina-mamakiss.com

Melisende said...

Anne, you have greater strength than I. My books are growing in ever increasing piles on all available floor space.

But at least I know where they are if I ever need to put my hand on one.

Keep up the great posts Anne!

Best Seller!

  So happy to see The Winter Widow a best seller in Amazon Australia Kindle!