Tuesday, June 15, 2010

We just had a long weekend here in Australia to celebrate the Queen's birthday (which is just stupid since she was born in April!) anyway, with everyone being home I didn't spend much time on the computer but instead did family stuff like watch movies. We went to the cinema and watched the A-Team, which we enjoyed, and for me personally spending 2 hours watching the delectable Bradley Cooper is a good way to spend a winter's afternoon!
From the video hire shop (yes I know I should call it the dvd hire shop, but old habits die hard and all that) we rented Invictus, A Bright Star and Avatar.

Invictus -slow start and well, it was okay, but once watched not needed to do so again in my opinion. Morgan Freeman did well as President Mandela and the story was one I didn't know.

The same can be said for A Bright Star which I was really hoping would knock my socks off, but the main male character just didn't do it for me. I didn't fall in love with him and that's a must for me to really enjoy a movie, especially a period movie, which is my favourite genre to watch, obviously.

Now to Avatar. I don't know what I was expecting, something obviously amazing to live up to the hype the movie received, but well, while I thought it was okay, it wasn't the best movie of all time for me. It was simply a nice movie to watch on a winter's afternoon. That's all. I wasn't depressed because I couldn't go to that place, like reports were of some people being after watching the movie. I wasn't fired up with the need to hug a tree or whatever. It was simply a movie that I watched, and I'm glad it didn't win the Oscar for best picture because it wasn't best picture...

I'm currently reading Someone Like You by Cathy Kelly. This is the first book of hers that I've read, but it won't be the last. I'm liking her voice and I'm a sucker for Irish set stories - must be my ancestor blood calling out to me.

World Cup fever is gripping the world and it is the only time I am interested in soccer, unless watching my son Josh play on a Saturday morning in the under 16s comp. The Socceroos, our Aussie team, was smashed in their first game against Germany, shame. Perhaps we can come back in our next game.

No comments:

Best Seller!

  So happy to see The Winter Widow a best seller in Amazon Australia Kindle!