Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Going swimmingly...

Lately my time between working, the kids being on end of term holidays and getting my eldest son ready for his first overseas trip means I've not had a lot of time to write, but I have managed to do some, more than I expected really, and I'm pleased this new story is going rather well considering all the current distractions.

One of those distractions is genealogy. Now don't call me an anorak, LOL, because its a misconception that all genealogist are old people or losers with no life. I am the perfect example of the new generation in their 30s and 40s who are delving into the past to learn about how they got to be where they are.
My journey and been exciting and frustrating and it isn't finished yet, and no I haven't found a noble bloodline linking me to Elizabeth I sadly. However, I did print out my family tree that I've compiled so far, all 30 pages of it, which I painstakingly taped together on the floor to show the full tree in all its blue and pink glory (denoting sexes). I've only managed to go back as far as 1750s on both my dad and mum's sides, mainly due to their Irish history where no records exists, but as I taped the pages yesterday and then stood back to admire the efforts of my ancestors filling the floor space of my sitting room, I was pretty chuffed at the results.
Even when my second son Josh's (14yrs) friend asked, "What's your Mum doing?" and Josh replied, "Family tree stuff. She's bored." and they both went off to play some game on the Playstation, even then I was still smiling at my achievements!

Now back to writing my current story!

2 comments:

Mon Wood said...

I'd love to spend more time delving into genealogy.

My grandfather on my mum's side claimed we had some titled blood on the British side, which I think is hogwash, so I'd like to look into it at some point. Maybe I'll be proven wrong?

Have fun. I hope there's some outrageous character or wealthy person in your family you can write about some day! :-) Mon.

Anita Davison said...

I must be an old loser too, Anne as I did this for a while using UK Census records which took me back to 1880. Before that I'll have to go to Germany to find anthing else, but it was fascinating. My Dad didn't know his own father was one of 12 until I started delving.

Best Seller!

  So happy to see The Winter Widow a best seller in Amazon Australia Kindle!