Tuesday, August 02, 2005

A Nice Rejection

Received a lovely rejection (that feels weird to write) from London Circle Publishing. It's one of the best I've ever had. I've posted a bit from the email below:-

Your writing is gentle and sensitive, and flows quietly but graphically for the reader. It makes for pleasant reading.

Now it's not everyday a write is told that and when you are told it makes you feel worthy and that you're not wasting your time. It's a good feeling and let's face it, a writer's life is full of insecurities about what we do, how we do it and why do we still keep on doing it when we receive rejection after rejection and hear all those scary reports about the state of the publishing world. (that sentence was a bit too long, I know)

Anyway, back to LCP's rejection. my story was too short for their guidelines, I did say that, didn't I? LOL
So, it looks like I can't break these particular rules, but that's okay I understand their reasons and that they must justify the price of the stories, etc. It is common sense.

However, it also leaves me having to find a home for my stories that refuse to go beyond 6/7 000 words. Try as I might, I can't write short stories that are over 10 000. I average 5 000 words.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a nice letter from that publisher! I have one rejection letter that was so sweet I actually framed it and put it above my computer for inspiration.

Coming Soon!

  Whispers of Spring released August 22 nd 2024! https://mybook.to/WhispersofSpring   sequel to The Winter Widow When all is lost, th...